Website University of Rochester Gwen M Greene Career and Internship Center
The Communications Manager provides leadership and coordination in the planning, development and implementation of strategic communications initiatives of broad significance to the department. This position is primarily responsible for defining the communications strategy for the Career Center and its career programming by creating and implementing a comprehensive communications plan. This plan will articulate goals and vision, the Center’s role within the University’s mission, and communications strategies and messages for its internal and external partnerships. The Communications Manger will work to build and sustain connections among all Center audiences, including students, employers, alumni, faculty and staff. Additionally, he/she will be responsible for the management, content cohesion and maintenance of the web site, social media, and coordination with other technology platforms and databases.
The main responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
COMMUNICATIONS STRATEGIC PLANNING & IMPLEMENTATION (45%)
- Define the communications strategy for the department. Develop and implement a strategic communications plan that supports the Career Center’s goals and vision.
- Coordinate communications efforts across the Career Center and in conjunction with other career services providers at UR to begin to establish an overall University strategy around recruitment of students and career services.
- Regularly connect and conduct research directly or through Career Center staff to gather insights and information from students, faculty, staff, alumni, employers and parents/families.
- Conceptualize, design, coordinate and execute strategies for marketing services, events and accomplishments to internal and external audiences, including students, faculty/staff/administrators, employers, alumni and parents/families.
- Independently research departmental communications needs and opportunities, and initiate proposals and recommendations for appropriate new specific communications projects and programs.
- Act as the department liaison with UR University Communications, Information Services, and College teams/departments by serving as the point of contact and participating in university-wide communications meetings.
- Conduct regular communications audits within the department to evaluate delivery, consistent messaging, and brand adherence.
- Develop and manage communications, marketing and advertising budget for Career Center.
PUBLIC RELATIONS & BRANDING (20%)
- Develop a consistent and cohesive Career Center identity aligned with UR’s brand identity standards.
- Work directly with the Executive Director to develop executive communications to include speeches and presentations, reports, statements, and articles.
- Create, write and edit annual publications, press releases, profiles, stories as well as special projects.Typical publications have a local, regional, national, and university-wide reach and can include annual reports, brochures, newsletters and printed pieces for students, employers, alumni, parents and faculty/staff.When appropriate, work with in-house or external designers and mail houses.
- Work with Executive Director to review internal department communications, branding and consistency of message.
WEB & SOCIAL MEDIA ADMINISTRATION (25%)
- Manage a dynamic Career Center web site (which includes multiple calendar platforms and brands), incorporating interactive and social media.
- Manage all social media outlets for the Career Center including but not limited to Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
- Coordinate all messaging with recruiting databases that serve as main vehicle for student application and internship/job searching
LEADERSHIP AND SUPERVISION (10%)
- Hire, supervise, train, provide problem solving assistance and evaluate performance of a team of student assistants.
- Define performance expectations and coach students in accordance with Career Center policies and protocols.
- Provide support and assistance in setting performance goals, reaching goals, and engaging in self-appraisal. Conduct annual appraisals of staff.
- Encourage staff development and growth. Showcase and encourage successful staff effort at the campus, local, regional, and national levels.
- 3-7 years related experience in communications, marketing and/or public relations or combination of education and experience that demonstrates skills and abilities required for the job.
- Demonstrated experience leading teams and developing positive relationships, partnerships, and alliances.
- Ability to embrace and drive change and to organize and effectively manage multiple priorities, programs, and projects.
- Ability to collaborate cross-functionally in the office environment and to interface with employers, students, alumni, faculty, and university administrators.
- Proven knowledge and success in developing and implementing communications/marketing strategies and tactics.
- Excellent communications skills with experience in a variety of technologies.
- Demonstrated organizational skills with clear attention to detail.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in responding to requests from many sources.
- A self-starter; independent judgment.
- Excellent and demonstrated proofreading/editing skills.
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a staff member at UR.
- University/college operations.
- Experience using web communications and graphic design software preferred but not required (software such as: Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver) and Microsoft Office).
- Videography/photography skills.
- Familiarity with higher education environment and career services for students preferred.
- Experience with supervision of staff.
About the University of Rochester
The University of Rochester, one of the country’s top-tier research universities, is comprised of Arts, Sciences, and Engineering and five schools—Eastman School of Music, School of Medicine and Dentistry, School of Nursing, Simon Business School, and Warner School of Education. “Meliora”- meaning “ever better” – distinguishes the value and way of life that has shaped the institution since its founding in 1850. Enrolling approximately 10,500 undergraduate and graduate students, the University promotes a highly personalized approach to learning. Students in The College – the undergraduate division of Arts, Sciences and Engineering – pursue their passions by choosing a major in one of the three divisions (Humanities, Natural Sciences/Engineering, and Social Sciences) and taking thematic three-course clusters in the other two areas. Educating global citizens, embedding career preparation into the student experience, and expanding experiential learning opportunities are key institutional strategic priorities. Located in Western New York, the city of Rochester has a decidedly entrepreneurial spirit, a resilient economy, and a rich cultural life contributing to its reputation as a “top ten college town” and a “top ten most livable city in America.”
About the Gwen M. Greene Career & Internship Center
Vision: Lead the U of R Community to create innovative career connections for student and alumni success
Under new leadership, the Gwen M. Greene Career & Internship Center is redefining career services at the University of Rochester to become an innovative and collaborative force for the career development or our students and alumni community. The Career Center serves undergraduate and graduate students in the Colleges of Arts, Sciences and Engineering. We actively partner with career professionals in other schools at the University, including the Simon School of Business, the Warner Graduate School of Education, the Eastman School of Music, and the School of Medicine and Dentistry. We are seeking individuals that will bring energy, innovation, passion and a strategic approach to career development and services. The Career Center is undergoing an exciting transformation and we are looking for professionals to join us to make this transformation a reality and greatly impact the lives of the people that are part of our community.
Through our work over the past 8 months, we have achieved many accomplishments and garnered support from University administration and leadership for initiatives to make career planning more central to the education of University of Rochester students. Some of these accomplishments are:
- Launching a new technology platform – Handshake – to better engage students with our office
- Plans for a renovated physical space to increase office space and create a more connected space
- The addition of 2 new full-time positions and a re-organization of roles and responsibilities to maximize our effectiveness; proposals for additional positions pending
- Career services is a major pillar and component in the vision of the Office of Advancement
- Led a committee on internships for the campus community bringing together campus partners committed to delivering quality internship experiences to students and employers
- New collaborative efforts with: Student Activities, Rochester Center for Community Leadership, Advancement, Admissions, Residential Life, Institutional Research, and the Student Association (student government) and leaders from student organizations
- Extensive travel with Advancement Division throughout the country to visit prospects and employer partners
- Continued commitment to students through our signature programs (CIC) and advising services
This metropolitan region situated on the southern shore of Lake Ontario is also part of New York’s breathtaking Finger Lakes region. Known for its vast selection of family-oriented activities and attractions, Rochester hosts nearly two million visitors each year. The third largest city in New York State, the greater Rochester region is inhabited by a little more than one million people. Conveniently located, Rochester is a six-hour drive from New York City, 3 1/2 hours from Toronto and 90 minutes from Niagara Falls.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://www.rochester.edu/people/applyonline/ →